The Governor’s Office of the Tribal Advisor, established by Executive Order B-10-11 and codified pursuant to AB-880 (Gray, 2018), is led by the Governor’s Tribal Advisor and sits within the Office of Governor Gavin Newsom. The Governor’s Tribal Advisor oversees the State’s policy on tribal affairs and is charged with:
- Implementing and facilitating effective government-to-government consultation and communication between the State and California Native American tribal governments on policies that affect California tribal communities;
- Advising the Governor and Administration on issues relevant and/or related to California tribal communities;
- Reviewing legislation, policies and regulations affecting California Native American tribes and providing recommendations to the Governor and Administration;
- Overseeing creation and implementation of the Tribal Nation Grant Fund pursuant to AB-880;
- Leading and convening the California Indian Heritage Center Task Force pursuant to Executive Order B-60-18; and
- Leading and convening the California Native American Truth and Healing Council pursuant to Executive Order N-15-19.